Saturday, August 9, 2008

He Holds My Hand

As I journey a long this path of getting closer to God and trusting Him in a deeper and more personal way, I have decided to read the Psalms every day.  I actually  have a portion in my journal entitled "Beginning My Day With My Saviour" in which I write some of the things I am learning from my quiet times with the Lord, especially what I am learning from the Psalms.  Today is no different.  My Psalm for today is Psalm 37. David has so much wisdom, and daily I ask God to make me wise!  One of my very favorite verses in the entire Bible is found in verse 4, "Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart."  I am still learning what it means to delight myself in the Lord!  For me to delight means to love Him, love His Word, and seek His will.  Obedience is also part of delighting in the Lord.  My desire would be that I would delight in the Lord more and more, and never think I have arrived! I feel like it should come so naturally, yet too often I "love" myself more, and find myself doing my will not His. Verse 23 also refers to delight.  This time it is the Lord who is delighting.  "The steps of a man are established by the Lord, and He delights in his way."  I want to follow and walk in the steps that the Lord has established for me.  I never want to go astray, or off of His path for my life.  But when I do, verse 24 is such a comfort.  "But when he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand."
It is such an awesome thought that the Lord holds my hand.  He holds it and does not let go, ever!  He wants me to walk close to Him.  He wants me to stay on His path.  He wants to lead and guide me.  He wants to spend time with me, and have me commune with Him, always and forever!  He knows the struggles I have and He knows the ugly sin that creeps into my walk with Him.  He knows when I am tempted to do it on my own, and when I start out not even acknowledging that He is with me.  He is ever so aware when I am not even giving Him a thought.  Too often I am only thinking of myself.  Yet He is still holding my hand and loving me.  From deep within my innermost being I am praising Him for His unconditional love,  for His guidance, and that He will never leave me.  I am thankful that through everything He holds my hand.   He is my Abba, Father.  I delight in Him!

Learning to trust God . . . as He holds my hand . . One Day at a time.

Carla

No comments: