Monday, August 11, 2008

A Gracious Woman

O lord, Your word says, "A gracious woman attains honor!"  (Proverbs 11:16)  Help me to be that type of woman for your glory! My greatest desire in life is to please the Lord and bring Him honor!  I want to be a gracious woman because that would please God.  When God looks at me I want Him to see that I am headed in that direction.  I desperately need His help.  The word gracious reminds me of how I am saved by God's gracious intervention on my behalf!  His divine grace in my life has nothing to do with any merit or good in me, but all to do with His unconditional love and mercy.  As I think about attaining honor and being gracious I very aware that I am not there yet.  I have not achieved it but my desires are that I will keep growing in the right direction.  When I think of ways I can become more gracious I think of being more Christlike, exhibiting the fruit of the spirit.  I picture a gracious woman as being kind.  That is a work of the Holy Spirit.  I think there is more to being gracious than being a pleasant courteous person yet I know those attributes are important as well.  A gracious woman is one who shows God's love to others with her words and deeds, even when she doesn't feel like it.  She is willing to "Bear one another's burdens, thus fulfill the law of Christ."   I know I have had times in my life when I have been gracious.  But I have also had those times in my life when I haven't wanted to be gracious.  I have chosen to pick and choose my times of being gracious  depending on my  feelings at the time. God has shown me that I have been selfish and self-centered in my attitudes.  Too many times  I haven't wanted to bother with someone.  I haven't wanted to speak kind words, let alone DO anything.  I haven't been attaining honor.  It is a hard lesson to learn.  It is not easy when God shows me things that I have tried to bury.  But I am thankful for this journey in learning to trust Him. He brings my sins to the surface so that I can repent and be on the right path.  I can only do this because He is leading me and because I am learning to listen. When I think of His amazing grace in my life, how can I be so selfish and uncaring?  I want to be a gracious woman,  I want to please Him.  I want to attain honor.  I have to learn to trust Him to help me become the kind of woman He desires, as I know I can't do it on my own.   I am not there yet, but with His help I am heading in the right direction.  "A gracious woman attains honor."

Learning to Trust God . . . To become a Gracious Woman . . . One Day at a Time

Carla
 

No comments: